Securing & Modernising Waste Services to Over 700,000 Leicestershire County Council Residents
Waste Management System Case Study – Leicestershire County Council
Industry: Public Sector Government Municipal Authority
Headquarters: Leicestershire County, The United Kingdom
Services: Waste Management, Recycling, Sustainability
The ChallengeFaced with a rapidly approaching End of Support threat for its Windows Server 2008 systems, required a system upgrade to secure and streamline their waste management efforts with a modern new platform.
OpenSky developed and implemented a unique custom-built cloud-based system called the Integrated Waste Data Management System (iWDMS). It provides a unified platform for automating the gathering, transformation, management, and reporting of data relating to the movement of waste from collection to disposal.
This system plays a vital role in enabling Leicestershire County Council to meet its high recycling and recovery targets, ensuring efficient contracts with private companies for waste collection/disposal whilst reducing the overall cost of waste management.
Key Benefits of The iWDMS Solution
Leicestershire County Council serves the local people of Leicestershire as a public service organisation. It is responsible for providing a diverse range of services to the citizens of Leicestershire including social care for adults and children, support for schools, transport, waste disposal, economic development amongst many other services.
Faced with a rapidly approaching End of Support threat for its Windows Server 2008 systems, the Leicestershire County Council engaged OpenSky to migrate its web-based Integrated Waste Data Management System (iWDMS) to Windows Server 2016, thus alleviating the risks associated with hosting a business-critical application on legacy software.
Leicestershire County Council engaged OpenSky to migrate its web-based Integrated Waste Data Management System (iWDMS) Application Servers from Windows Server 2008 instances to Windows Server 2016 before Microsoft discontinued support, thus alleviating the risks associated with hosting a business-critical application on legacy software.
About the Integrated Waste Data Management System
OpenSky’s iWDMS is a unique custom-built cloud-based system allowing for the gathering, transformation, management and reporting of data relating to the movement of waste from collection to disposal.
Leicestershire County Council opted to move to the latest version of Windows Server and SQL Server and migrate current applications to a newer Microsoft supported platform. Once the applications were verified to be fully functional on the latest Windows Server version, and when connectivity and interaction between key components was tested and verified, the new application and database servers were switched with the existing server
An Advanced and Highly Automated Strategic Waste Management Tool
IWDMS facilitates the tracking of waste from collection to disposal with accurate tracking, and effectively automates many of the daily waste management tasks that WLWA would be expected to complete.
The system provides standard and specialised reports such as vehicle reports, waste reports, contractor reports and WDF reporting as well as functionality for users to design and customise their own reports and dashboards. As waste management processes are automated by iWDMS, the system can run many of the daily operations automatically.
New maintenance plans were applied to ensure the database would perform optimally in the new SQL Server instance.
The best-practice architecture will allow Leicestershire County Council’s waste mangers to add functionality in line with changing regulatory requirements.
Key Functionality & Features
- Customised cloud-based system.
- Real-time insights & data tracking.
- Standard & customised reports.
- Configurable reporting to support waste data flow tonnages.
- The iWDMS solution has streamlined processes while saving a significant number of days in administration every month.
- Installation and configuration of iWDMS in-line with WLWA’s specific requirements.
- The iWDMS solution automates WLWA’s waste data management processes and reduces the dependency on key people for the management of their in-house processes.
Key Technologies Used in this Solution
Through a fast and professional migration and support, OpenSky helped Leicestershire County Council maintain its Waste Management operations with full security, compliance and confidence.
IWDMS delivers the security, automation, and data management functionality the Council needs to work towards its UK and EU waste targets. Thanks to the task automation, automated reports, and high degree of usability, its staff are freed from personnel dependency on key tasks, and management have the data and analytics they need to make better strategic decisions needed to improve recycling and reduce landfill contributions.
- Improved Security, with full support on the latest versions of Microsoft Windows Server and Microsoft SQL Server platforms
- Faster and Better Performance thanks to the application and system upgrades.
- Full Protection Against Threats and Breaches
- Newer versions of Microsoft SQL Server introduce innovations that include high-availability features, scalability, and better management.
Choose What To Do Next
- Download the glossy and fully designed PDF version of this case study to read on your own time offline.
- Book a personalised 1-on-1 assessment of your systems and demo of our automation and business solutions.
- Sign up for the latest news, updates, and case studies as we publish them.
Get what you want with a single button click below.
Email Me This Case Study
More of Our Case Studies
The systems we have built tell our story of success as they enable millions of people every day to easily transact & communicate with service providers, in Ireland & the UK.